Take-Home Semester Final
AP United States History
Submit Responses Through Google Docs to email@example.com
Due Date – 12 Noon, Monday, December 18, 2017
INSTRUCTIONS: Choose any TWO of the following EIGHT numbered prompts and write a comprehensive response to each.
- Compare/contrast the “modes of encounter” between the native inhabitants of North America and EACH of the following groups:
- The Dutch
- The English
- The French
- The Spanish
For each group, you should explain BOTH the general philosophy of how each group interacted with the native populations they encountered and WHY that philosophy existed. The French model of encounter, for example, was at least in part a function of French settlement patterns and French politics at that time. Don’t focus exclusively on the what, put the necessary time into explaining the why.
2. Compare/contrast the regional character of the New England Colonies (Plymouth, Massachusetts Bay) with the regional character of the mid-Atlantic Colonies (Virginia, Carolinas). Explain WHY these two regions developed as differently as they did: you should consider geography (climate), economics, cultural issues (religion) in framing your response.
3. Give a comprehensive account of the various causes of the American Revolution. Your answer should include some discussion of political philosophy, the cultural differences that developed between the government of Great Britain and its North American colonies, and various economic factors. Your response should demonstrate that the motivations for revolution were present well before the “shot heard round the world” was fired in April of 1775.
4. Regrettably for many, the history of the developing United States of America (going back to colonial times) is a story of the expansion of a predominantly white population at the expense of people of color. This “transfer” of land from one group to another came courtesy of various justifications/explanations. Demonstrate the validity of this claim by utilizing the following events/policies:
- Bacon’s Rebellion
- The theory of Manifest Destiny
- The expulsion of Native Americans from Georgia (“The Trail of Tears”)
- The taking of Texas, its secession from Mexico, and its annexation by the United States.
- The Intercourse Act in theory versus how things actually developed.
5. Explain how the conflict over slavery and the structure of the United States government under the Constitution combined to create conditions that led to the crafting of the Missouri Compromise. Evaluate whether this compromise was likely or unlikely to create a lasting solution to what the United States would do with its “peculiar institution” of slavery.
6. Examine the impact of EACH of the following social movements on the culture and character of the growing United States:
- The Temperance Movement
- The Second Great Awakening
- The Seneca Falls Convention
- The Rise of Abolitionist Movements (“The Liberator” et. al.)
7. Explain the significant social and economic changes to the United States that came as a result of the invention of the steam engine and the cotton gin. With respect to the steam engine, you should give consideration to the steam engine as it is applied to transportation AND the steam engine as it is applied as a power source in a factory.
8. Use the contrast between Shay’s Rebellion and the Whiskey Rebellion as a vehicle to examine some of the fundamental design flaws in the Articles of Confederation and how those flaws were corrected with the creation of the United States Constitution.